Friday, September 09, 2005

My knuckles hurt...

I went to all-belts tonight, and got a good workout. Blakely, one of the younger black belts (maybe 13), did warmups for the first time, and did pretty well considering it was a large class! Mr. Coleman (Sah Bum Nim) taught tonight, so I knew I was in for a hard workout. I'm always somewhat more focused when Mr. Coleman teaches, rather than an assistant instructor... I guess because he's taught me since I was six, and I have a huge amount of respect for him. Not that I don't have respect for the others, its just that they've trained more with me than over me. As you can tell from the title, my knuckles hurt. This is because I made the choice to do knuckle pushups on cinder blocks. Now I know you're all thinking why anyone in their right mind would ever do that, but its supposed to improve my punch (although I'm considering just doing regular pushups on the blocks 'cause my knuckles are getting seriously messed up!) While we were practicing kicking, I noticed Master Lucas observing the class from the back and I stepped up my game; maybe to impress him? I'm not sure, I just know I stepped it up. I polished up my 360 back kick tonight, and worked on my form (I'm still mixing up my hands on the last two blocks, because I learned it the wrong way and can't seem to break the habit). Then it was sparring time! I don't usually enjoy sparring, but I did tonight for some reason. I practiced some drills with Blakely and then I free sparred with her. She's a good opponent and it was quite fun to try out some new combinations. Then Mr. Coleman asked who wanted to spar Rodney (one of the adults). I wanted a challenge so I raised my hand, but he picked someone else. These past few months I've started wanting to spar someone significantly older and larger than me and not have them go easy on me, just to see what I can do. I know they don't mean anything, but I feel slightly offended when someone goes easy on my just because I'm a girl or because I'm smaller than them; just because I'm small doesn't mean I can't handle myself. Anyway, he picked someone else, and about 10 seconds into the round, Rodney hurt his leg really badly and couldn't walk; he had to have a person at each arm to help him out to his car. Hope its nothing too serious... Well, that's all for today. I'm going to the 10:00 class tomorrow morning so I'll write if anything interesting happens. 'Night!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are awesome.
i humbled.
that wasn't english.
i'll try again.
i am humbled.
the end!

Anonymous said...

Hello Pam--
Push-ups on cinder blocks ? ! Wow! You're SERIOUS!

It's fun to read about someone else's experiences in TKD!

What's your dojang like? I was thinking this week about how much I love ours--it's in an old building and is like a huge gym with high ceilings and hardwood floors.

Hey, can I post your blog address on my blog?

OK, I'm off to our all-belts class today.

TaeKwonDoMom

TKD Rocker said...

Hey TaeKwonDoMom,
My dojang has hardwood floors and a pretty low ceiling. I don't think its quite as big as yours (judging from the pics that I've seen), but its big enough so we all have room to spread out. On one side of the room we have the kicking bags and training equipment, and there's a big (almost as large as the actual training area) back room where we store our gear; we call it the Blue Room because its painted entirely blue... And feel free to post my blog addres on your blog! The more readers I have, the better! -Pam