Thursday, September 22, 2005

Alive and Kicking

Hey all, I've been sick for most of this week with a really random stomach bug. I didn't throw up at all, but I had a fever and felt nausous all the time... Weird... Anyway, I felt better today so I went for the self-defense/sparring class tonight. Brian taught class tonight because Mr. Coleman was sick. (I've heard TaeKwonDoMom talk about Brian A. from her school, and he always reminded me of the Brian from my school). He's not a very big man, but he's got a powerful presence and is great with kids. Rodney was there as well; I mentioned in an earlier post that he had hurt his leg while sparring. Well, apparently he hurt it pretty bad, cause he had a cast going all the way up his thigh. I feel bad for him 'cause I know he's going to miss training a lot; I hope he's back on his feet soon. Before class, Brian showed me a couple of self-defense moves that he likes, and asked me if I would help out with a demo that he was doing for the girls in his church youth group. Of course I said yes (I love demos!) so that should give me something interesting to write about later on. For self-defense I was hoping to get paired with Max, 'cause he always improvises his moves and makes it more of a challenge, but Brian put me with one of the new white belts named Matthew. I was kind of disappointed at first, but I ended up having a good time. He's about 17 years old, so he didn't have the ADD little kid personality, and he was very proficient in his moves for a beginner; I was impressed. We did pretty basic moves for self-defense, but it was still good to review the old stuff. Next was sparring, and I was paired with a purple belt, I'm not sure of his name; he's very quiet and never talks to anyone. So we started doing some drills and it was just weird. He was so constant in his movements and he didn't react to anything at all. He even had this little smirk on his face, like he knew that he was unnerving me. That frustrated me for some reason, and I started kicking harder and faster. I'm usually not very agressive at all, but I guess after three days of laying on a couch and doing nothing, I had gotten a little restless. I don't know why I got so frustrated with him, but it just kind of happened. We didn't get to free spar today, but it was still a really good workout. I can't wait for Saturday; Four hours of hardcore self-defense with Mr. Coleman and Master Lucas (and then a pizza party, but that's beside the point!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello TKDRocker--
Did you see I linked your blog in mine? I enjoy reading yours.

Hey, I have a question for you. What's a purple belt? We don't have purple. Where does it fit with the rest of the belts?

tkdmom

TKD Rocker said...

Hey, thanks for linking my blog in yours; it makes me feel special! :)
When I first started tkd, I think our belt system was similar to yours. We had white; low, medium, and high yellow; the same with blue and red, and then 1st dan. We updated it about 8 years ago to this: White, yellow, orange, green, blue, purple, brown, red, high red, deputy black belt, and 1st dan. For each of the color belts, we have two progress stripes before you test for the next belt, and for black belts I think there are 4 progress stripes, and the intervals get longer the higher you get (e.g. I have to wait four years to get my 4th dan, whereas I only had to wait 2 years to get my 2nd dan.) Its a bit confusing, but I tend to like the new system better because there are more belts, which gives the little kids something to look forward to and to work towards. Have a great weekend!