Friday, September 09, 2005

Back Again

Well, I'm in my OC (open campus) at school, so I thought I'd write about TKD class last night. It was half self-defense, half sparring (I could only stay for the first half... Stupid homework....) For self-defense, my instructor sometimes combines teaching with his friend, Master Lucas (or Menkio Sensai, as we're supposed to call him). Let me start by saying that he is so COOL! He is one of the most intelligent people I've ever met, and not just about tkd. He knows a lot about life in general, and incorporates it into his teaching. I've been in just three of his classes so far, but I've learned so much in that time, its amazing! He teaches escapes from basic holds, then shows the adults and advanced belts how to take it to the floor. We get to try it on eachother, but you really have to work at it because your attacker is flailing and struggling the whole time you're trying to put them in the hold. After struggling with my opponent for several minutes I said, "forget about the hold," and slammed my hand beside his head in a "mock punch" and got a pressure point on his neck until he tapped out. That's what he encourages us to do, because there are so many "what-ifs" involved. If that had been a real fight and I had just kept on trying to get the hold on him, he probably would have won in the end because he had more mass and weight power against me. But punching works just as well! I can't wait till the 24th! He and Mr. Coleman are doing a four hour self-defense seminar! Its gonna rock!! Ah, time for lunch. I might go to tkd tonight; if so, I'll write about it.

No comments: