Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Oww....

I taught on Monday, which was pretty fun. It was a 1 1/2 hour class, so we did kicks, forms, self-defense, a flying sidekick contest, and played "intructor says" for the kids. It was a big class (25 people) but Deven helped me out so that was nice.
I taught on Tuesday as well, but there were only 8 people, so it was more relaxed. I taught the first 45 minutes of self-defense, then Rodney took over for the rest of class. I'm beginning to wonder whether I command enough respect from my classes. When I teach, the other teenagers (even ones who are black belts!) tend to goof off and it's hard to keep them in line when they're my age or older. Once Rodney took over, he made it clear that no one was going to goof off with him around. I wish I had that air of authority... But, then again, Rodney was in the military, so that probably helped out. Anyway, we got the mats out and did some hip throws/sweeps, which was fun. I partnered with Chris which was a challenge, seeing as he's a good foot taller than me. But I love a good challenge! I also got kneed right in the temple when he was throwing me - it hurt! It's pretty tender today, but no real damage.
Today, we ran the mile in Fit for Life. We weren't going for time, but we had heart rate moniters strapped on so we could stay within our target heart rate zones. And I found out that my aerobic fitness isn't good at all. TKD is pretty much anaerobic, which means that your body isn't using oxygen while you're exercising - its kind of like sprinting. You can only go for so far, but you're out of breath at the end. Aerobic is more endurance, like a marathon runner. So when you go above your target heart rate zone, you're exercising anaerobically, which doesn't improve your heart and only burns sugar, instead of carbs. I found that a brisk walk/slow jog got me in the upper part of my heart rate zone, so one of my new goals is to improve my aerobic fitness by exercising in my target heart rate zone for 20-30 minutes 2 or 3 times a week. That's about all that's happened to me lately!

1 comment:

taekwondomom said...

I don't know the biological facts like what your body burns and when, but I do know that if I'm not swimming laps at least once a week, I get really out of breath after a couple rounds of sparring! Swimming really helps out for me.