Saturday, January 27, 2007

Mute and Testing

I was mute on Thursday, as part of my UBBT empathy requirements. I figured it would be easy, since I don't talk that much anyway, but boy was I wrong! I couldn't talk to my mom on the phone when I got to school (I had to clap to let her know that I was ok), I couldn't joke around with my friends, and people just tend to ignore you when you can't speak. Taekwondo was interesting as well. I couldn't answer the phone, bow the class in, answer the instructor, or yell. I now understand just how important kiyaps are. I didn't have nearly as much power as I usually do, and the adrenaline rush that I get from kiyaping wasn't there, so I wasn't as energetic. Its definitely tough, not being able to talk, and I think that it's a good thing for everyone to try, just to get a different perspective on the world.
This morning we had our first group testing of the year. I was up for a progress stripe in TKD and my brown belt in Kobudo. It was small (only about 20 people) and Mr. Coleman conducted the test because Grandmaster Kim doesn't come down unless there are several people testing for dans or pooms (he lives in Pennsylvania). Demo team performed first which was fun. I have a new self-defense routine (wrote it myself and everything!) so I got to do that. Ms. Swing and I did a bo kata and I did my nunchaku kata. I broke too, with a 360 hook. I think I'm getting out of that rut that I was stuck in - you know, the one where I couldn't break with that kick? Glad that's over! TKD testing was next - Rodney got his deputy black belt, which was awesome! He's really dedicated and very talented. I passed my stripe testing, along with all the other black belts who were testing for stripes. Kobudo testing was last, and Ms. Swing and I were the only candidates. We went through a couple of katas on each weapon, Mr. Coleman gave us advice and pointers, and we both passed to brown belt! Now I just have to train hard for my 1st dan test (whenever it will be) because we have to test in front of Kyoshi Coffin (Mr. Coleman's weapons master). The man is absolutely terrifying and will probably be haunting my dreams for months before the test!
In other news, Mr. Coleman wants me to compete at the Battle of Atlanta this summer! So that will be exciting. But for now, I want to start my training for my 4th dan test (yes, I know, it's 10 months away, but still... I want to be in the best shape I've ever been so the sooner I start, the better.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine not talking for a whole day - Congratulations on passing your test!