Saturday, January 13, 2007

Back into the Swing

My training has been going really well, as of late. I did all 1000 of my pushups and situps last week, and I'm almost done for this week as well! I got two testing applications last week - one for my 2nd progress stripe in tkd, and one for my brown belt in Kobudo. I feel pretty confident in both areas - I might need a little practice with Matte Ush, No Tonfa Ich, but I've pretty much got it down. I'm just worried about the next Kobudo testing - for my 1st dan. Black belt tests have to be conducted by Kyoshi Coffin, who can be quite a terrifying person to be around. But I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
Last night was great. Brian has been coming more often (now that he isn't working 12 hour shifts) so it was good to train with him tonight. We also had two new black belts who just moved from Salt Lake City. Its a father and son (I think the son looks about my age - maybe a little older), and they were phenomenal! I could tell from the way they moved that they had come from a more traditional style, but they caught on quickly. Lane (the son) has an amazing jump back kick, and they both have very good form. I was paired with Lane for self-defense (we just did a couple of techniques - block/palmstrike and some wristlocks) - it looked a little awkward for him, like he hadn't done much with self-defense, but once he got used to it, he was a lot smoother. I didn't get to talk to them after class, but I hope they come back. Its nice to have some more adult black belts around.

No comments: