Saturday, January 20, 2007

Resolutions

In Taekwondo, we are required to submit 5 new years resolutions every year - I spent some time thinking on it, and this is what I want to accomplish in 2007:
1. Complete my personal test requirements by my 4th Dan test.
2. Have all of my college applications finished by Christmas.
3. Continue to deepen my faith.
4. Be responsible with the privileges that come with being 18.
5. Plan and organize an Invisible Children event.

Most people tend to think of resolutions as ways to better yourself, like losing 10 pounds or working out every day, but I like to think of them as the opportunity to commit to something that you've always wanted to do, but have never done, all the while bettering yourself and the people around you. Like the UBBT - I've never undertaken such an enormous physical committment, but this new year gives me the chance to say that, YES, I will complete the task I set for myself!
As for the college applications, I want to have them over and done with by the time I leave for winter break so they're not hanging over me - I've visited one college on my list so far, and have lined up two more visits this spring. I'm excited about starting the process!
Every year, at least one of my resolutions has something to do with my relationship with God, because heaven knows we can always use work on that one! This past year, making time to read and study my Bible, pray, and just listening to God has been a problem for me, so I'm resolving to make time for these things because nothing in the world is more important than developing and keeping a strong relationship with the One who made you.
My fourth resolution doesn't actually go into effect until July, but I wanted to keep it in mind anyway. Yes, I'll be 18, but that doesn't automatically make me a mature adult. That is something that takes time, experience, and wisdom, so I don't want to let any of the privileges of being 18 go to my head - I want to keep my feet firmly planted on the ground until I'm ready to fly.
The last resolution is more something that I've wanted to do for a long time - Invisible Children is an organization that raises awareness about children in Northern Uganda (and all over the world for that matter), who are being kidnapped by rebel armies and forced to fight as child soldiers (www.invisblechildren.com). Some of these kids are as young as 5 years old, and most of them are badly mutilated or killed by the commanders. Girls are usually taken as sex slaves by the officers. This is a horrible thing that is happening, and we're just... Letting it happen. The US did not offer any support for the recently collapsed Juba Peace Talks between the rebel army and the Ugandan Government, nor is our government making any effort to bring this news to our attention. That is where Invisible Children comes in; Three filmmakers went to Africa to film about the genocide in Sudan, but ended up discovering the "Invisible Children" of Uganda, which they decided to make a documentary about. I would encourage everyone to watch this documentary - It changed my life the first time I saw it, and every time thereafter it ignites a fire in me that I can't put out. I donate $10 out of my allowance every week to the organization and I have made information posters and put them around town, but this year I want to organize and execute a screening of Invisible Children.
I try to set high standards for myself, so in short, I want to change the world (or at least a tiny part of it) in 2007.

No comments: