Thursday, September 27, 2007

Catching up

I went to train at Kyoshi's last week for the black belt class, and boy was it hard! We started out doing cycles of pullups (I had to run around with a stool because I was too short to jump and reach them), then we did cycles of pushups (four stations, 1st cycle = 1 pushup at each station, 2nd cycle = 2 pushups, etc. all the way to 5). Then we worked the tonfa, which was alright. It was bo that was the disaster. Once we got past Choun a kun, I had no idea what was going on. We did about 5 or 6 kata that I didn't know and could hardly keep up with. Then, we did some openhand kata, which was a little easier - still didn't know any of the kata, though.
We did a lot of talking in between these things, and he (Kyoshi Coffin) repeatedly put down TKD and criticized it to no end. Mr. Coleman and Ms. Swing had warned me about that, but I wasn't prepared for that kind of verbal assault. He wasn't attacking me, but he was attacking my art, which is almost worse in my opinion. It finally came to a breaking point after class, when he, in front of the entire class, bet his belt that he could teach me more in 2 years than I'd learned in 12 years of tkd. I didn't say anything, but I'd had more than I could handle. I went back to the locker room and cried my eyes out. Normally, I wouldn't get that upset, but I've been a little more emotionally sensitive since Mr. Coleman left.
Once I composed myself, I went back out. I think Kyoshi saw that he'd upset me. He took me in his office and we talked for a long time. I told him that from what I'd seen of Karate, I loved it, but I wasn't ready to make that switch. He told me that, in my heart, I'd always be a TKD stylist, and that Mr. Coleman would always be my master, but there was only so much that he could teach me. I understand where he's coming from, but I don't completely buy it. At least some things got resolved, though. Sigh.....

2 comments:

C. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
C. said...

I understand you 100%. I studied taekwondo like 5 years, since I was 14, but I had to quit because of an injurie (grrr).

Later, I tried to began Hapkido. The master knew me from my TKD years and offer me to join his school and a middle level belt (I was blue belt in TKD). But I just couldn't continue. I felt like treasoning my original school and master. So... I can imagine your feeling when you heard such things...

Even now in my new TKD school I don't feel totally adapted. That's weird, right? LOL

What did you do finally? Did you quit from karate? I'd have done it, I think.

Nice blog. Have a good week!

http://ratoneando.blogspot.com