Tuesday, December 20, 2005

The End of Kim's Black Belt Academy

Tonight I attended my last Taekwondo class at Kim's Black Belt Academy. Due to some changes in my master's personal life (Out of respect, I prefer not to post about them), he has decided to take on a co-owner (Paulette!) and thus dissolve the school. Our new school will be called Kim's School of Martial Arts, and we've all been assured that it will essentially be the same. I'm a little apprehensive, though. I've been with the school for almost 11 years, and I'm kind of sad to see it go, but I'm glad that we're expanding and growing.
Something weird happened during class. We were doing self-defense and I was having trouble with a wrist-lock, so Mr. Coleman came over to help. He took my arm and put the wrist-lock on, but sharper and faster than normal, which made it hurt a lot more. Now understand, I have faith that Mr. Coleman knows what he's doing, and I would trust him with my life, but the fact that he didn't seem to notice how much he was hurting me confused me a little. I was so distracted by the pain that I could barely focus on what he was telling me. It reminded me of something TaekwondoMom said in one of her posts about Master Hughes inadvertantly hurting one of his students. Hmm.... Comments??

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

in our classes we pat our thigh when things like that hurt so that whoever is doing it knows to stop. maybe he was distracted by something or was in a hurry.

TKD Rocker said...

Oh, believe me, I was patting my thigh as hard as I could! :P Now that I look back on it, it was a large class with a lot of younger kids, so I guess he was more distracted than usual.