Sunday, July 15, 2007

4th Dan Test

I tested for my 4th dan yesterday!! I went straight from camp to the dojang, having only practiced my forms twice that week because of work, and having not practiced one-steps or self-defense at all. It was a small group, as the test was very impromptu. My parents, Matt (a guy from my church), Kandie and Jennifer (two red belts), and some friends from camp (Laura, Mandy, and Brian). Ms. Swing was testing as well, for her 3rd dan, and Rodney and Max helped out with self-defense and breaking.
We started out with forms. After doing Koryo three times, with different pointers after each time, I started to realize that this wasn't like any test I'd ever had. It wasn't so much a test, as a learning experience. We both knew the stuff, and Mr. Coleman knew that. It was just a matter of improving on what we already knew. We both did Keumgang, and I did Taebaek while Ms. Swing did Bassai.
Next, Ms. Swing and I paired up for one-step sparring. When you get to brown belt, you have to make up six of your own, instead of having preset techniques like the lower belts. Mine have definitely changed a lot since I was a brown belt, as they should. Those went by very smoothly.
Self-defense was also more of a learning experience. I paired with Rodney - luckily, we had the opportunity to go through them a couple of times before the test, so he knew what to expect. We did the techniques twice - once full-speed, then once step-by-step, with explanations of what we were doing. Rodney accidentally head-butted me in the forehead, but other than that it went really well.
We each had to do two breaks. Ms. Swing chose a jumping back kick power break (two boards) and a round double. She broke both on first try! I chose to do 360 hook kick (my signature kick, I guess) and 360 roundhouse (I feel comfortable with it, but I've only broken with it a couple of times). I broke both on first try as well!
Mr. Coleman had me read my essay out loud (you can read it in the previous post), which went sort of well I guess. I don't especially enjoy reading my own work out loud - I'm more comfortable if someone else reads it, but oh well.
After that, Mr. Coleman said, "In the career of a martial arts instructor, you get only a handful of students who are exceptional. You two, are truly exceptional. Now, for the sake of my getting emotional, you both passed test." Lots of hugging and pictures ensued: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=3287&l=84675&id=507329453

No comments: