Thursday, August 31, 2006

The Ultimate Black Belt Test

Well, I was browsing the Internet yesterday when I came across this website: http://www.ultimateblackbelttest.com/index.asp
The Ultimate Black Belt Test (UBBT) is a personal growth challenge for brown and black belts of any discipline. The challenge lasts for 13 months, and has physical, mental, and spiritual requirements to complete within the year or so.
Physical: Complete 52,000 pushups and crunches
Run/walk 1000 miles
Complete 1000 rounds of sparring (at least 2 minute rounds)
150 hours of Jiu-Jitsu mat time.
Self-defense training
1000 repetitions of a single form
Become proficient in a Filipino "stick fighting" art
20 hours of boxing or Muay Thai.
Follow a diet program

Mental and Spiritual:
Read 12 books pertaining to management or philosophy
Go through a motivational course
One day of being in a wheelchair
One day being blind
One day being mute
Log 1000 acts of compassion
Be the catalyst for 50,000 acts of compassion
Right 3 wrongs or mend 3 broken relationships
Meditate 15 minutes a day
Participate in a community service project

There are also three training events that you have to attend with the other members of the team, plus the testing and graduation at the end.

When I read all of this, I was on the verge of crying, because I had been looking for a goal, some sort of challenge to achieve, and here it was! I'm going to talk with Mr. Coleman about it and ask him for his support. I figure I'll get Junior year out of the way, and start the program this coming summer before my Senior year. I'm so excited about this!!! There is a 15 year old boy living near my city who is working on completing his, so if he can do it, I can do it! Right now, I've decided to start training, so I'm getting up at 6 every morning and doing 150 pushups and crunches, I'm trying to eat healthier, and I'm going to talk to Mr. Coleman about other things I can do to prepare. Let me know what you think!

No comments: