Thursday, May 11, 2006

TKD Rocker? In ballet?

At my voice lesson yesterday, I was informed that I should look into taking a ballet class. I plan to go to college for musical theatre, and to do that, I have to be able to dance. I took a jazz class when I was in 6th grade, but that's the extent of my dance experience. TKD has given me balance, muscle control, and flexibility, but according to my voice teacher, I walk like an athlete when I'm onstage, not like a dancer. I want to improve my chances of getting into a musical theatre program, but that would mean cutting back on TKD. Its a decision that I'm struggling with, but I think that I will look into taking a basic ballet class, just to give me a good base in dancing. TKDmom, any advice on this? How does your ballet affect your TKD, and vice versa?

1 comment:

taekwondomom said...

Do let me know if you decide to take ballet!

How has it affected me as a martial artist? Hard to say, as I was doing ballet before TKD. I think, though, that it aids in flexibility, balance, and quickness. Plus, you'll get more opportunities to learn combinations of movements. You also get to move to music, which helps you with rhythm, important in forms and sparring.

AND--it's FUN!