Monday, October 03, 2005

Teaching Notes

These are some notes I took over the weekend to help me with my teaching; give me your perspective or add on to what I've got!
-Warmups: Use judgement; younger kids are flexible and don't need a lot of stretching. Always do jumping jacks, crunches, pushups, and basic floor stretches.
-Speak LOUDLY!!!
-Always go over basic commands and stretches when new students are in class.
- Try not to unintentionally degrade students. Tell them its alright if they need to review a form. Be gracious, but remember that higher belts are expected to remember their old forms.
- Don't tolerate disrespect; assign a pushup if someone doesn't answer "yes ma'am" or if someone is goofing off and not listening.
- Try to learn most of the student's names in order to make class a more personal experience for them.
-When correcting someone, always give an explanation.
-When correcting someone, try to address the entire class so as not to humiliate the student.
-Learn what kicks each belt level is expected to know.
-Variety; don't do one thing the entire class (i.e. forms). Mix it up so students don't get bored.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey do you live in Utah?? and are you a 2nd degree or something like that?

TKD Rocker said...

Nope; I'm in NC and I'm 3rd degree.

Anonymous said...

oh. cause you sounded like someone my cousin knows in utah who i met a couple months ago. im in tkd too but im a sr. red belt. woohoo!

Anonymous said...

Great teaching tips!

TKDmom